Monday 15 September 2014

DRUMMER WEEK: GAUTAM DEB (NOISEWARE, PMOC)

I've known Deb for a few years now, competing with Chronic Phobia at many gigs with Noiseware! He's one hell of a drummer! Check this long interview I've done with him. :)






Full name and age.
Gautam Deb and just turned 25.
I'm feeling extremely old already.

What is your favourite dish/cuisine?
Indian (home) food any day.

Kindly tell us about all your precious gear! (Sticks, cymbals, kit, skins, gear/bags)
I have a Mapex kit in Pune but will be upgrading it soon, and got a Roland TD 11k  E- kit in Bombay. I've got 15 gorgeous cymbals from Soultone cymbals.
I'm currently in love with them. I've got a mix of dark and bright sets.
As for sticks, I use either a Vic Firth or Vater 5A/5B/7B.
All gig bags and practice pads are sorted, thanks to Alberto. He's a God's gift to all the musicians in Bombay.

How long have you been playing the drums?
I've been playing since nine years. I took drumming up seriously when I was in school in Pune and was very sure that this is what I am going to do.

What got you into playing drums?
Women/girls.
Then I realized there’s more to it….haha!

Have you learned to read music as well, or do you just play by ear?
I use a lethal combination of both.
I got myself into reading a couple of years back but then I developed my own style of reading, thanks to my school/teacher/college ….Noiseware.
I programme what I play so I get a midi chart and I use that chart as my reading sheets.
The advantage is that I can hear what I write and even slow down the tempo if I want to which I’m sure a piece of paper can't do, but then when I'm jamming, I just use my ear and try to create something and then take it to the midi charts.
Reading is an important aspect and helps understand time and every musician should at least know it if not use it.

Loud and pounding| soft and accurate| the normal drummer. What do you prefer?
Is this a sexpert question? haha…but anyway
It depends on what you are playing. Currently I freelance as a drummer and playing different genres needs different styles of playing. So, understanding the physics of dynamics is important.




What thought goes into the composing process?
This one is all about the ear. No amount of charts can help you make a good song unless you are Beethoven.
If it sounds good then it is good. For learning and refining, yes, charts would definitely help you.

What other music projects are you currently a part of?
Currently I’m writing an album with Noiseware (Metchul) and PMOC (Pinnochio's Moment of Clarity) which is sort of a post rock album.
Creatively I’m just involved with these two projects.
Last year I worked on an album with Reverrse polarity with Keshav Dhar producing it and it was a great learning experience for me.

Do you have a day job? What is it that you do?
Not really. I play the drums and I make a living out of it.
I also have a design firm so I switch temporarily during an off-season.
So yeah, two professions as of now but never ever a day fucking job.

Your favorite musicians (Indian)
Guitar: Warren Mendonsa, Prashant Shah (Scribe),Adhiraj (Noiseware), Anurag Shankar (Siddharth Basrur project)
Bass: Sheldon D'silva, Carl Peters, Rushad Mistry, Abhinav Chaudhary (Circus), Adi Mistry
Drums: Jai Row Kavi, Gino Banks, Vinayak Pol, Nishant Hagjer (UndyingInc), Varun Venkit, Ranjit Barot
Vocals: Vishwesh, Siddharth Basrur, Clinton Cerejo, Shashank Bhatnagar
Any other instrument:
Taufiq Qureshi (Percussions) Pandit Hari Prasad Chaurasia (Bansuri)
Zakhir Hussain(Tabla), V.Selvaganesh

Your favourite musicians (international)
Guitar: Fredrik Thordendal, Tosin Abasi,  John McLaughlin, Andrew Goddard, Wes Borland, Dave Brubeck
Bass: Roy Mitchell (Mutemath), Jon Stockman( Karnivool), Victor Wooten,  Jaco Pastorius, Sam Rivers, Tal Wilkenfeld
Drums: Steve Judd, Darren King, Chris Coleman, Tony Royster Jr, Tomas Haake, Matt Halpern, Vincent Colaiuta, Dave Weckl, Travis Barker, Kerim Krimh Lechner
Vocals: Fin Greenall (Fink), Ian Kenny, Bruce Dickinson, Corey taylor,
Any other instrument:
Daniel Waples - hang drum
Chick Corea- Piano
Hiromi- Piano/Keyboard
Hans zimmer- composer and music producer
Bonobo- composer

Can we expect a release from your band(s) any time soon?
Both the bands Noiseware and PMOC are planning to release their albums by end this year.

Whom do you look up to, as a musician and a band?
There are so many hardworking musicians in the country today.
Some musicians/bands inspire me the most are Sahil Makhija,Rahul Hariharan,Coshish and also people like Nikhil Udupa,Himanshu,Rishu,Shadaab,Bobin james,Uttara Mendonsa who are building the Independent music scene.

A message to all your fans (hello ladies!)
Hello Ladies Call me maybe!? Please.
All guy fans…Only chat online maybe.

Thanks so much for your time! 
Its always a pleasure chatting with you Pratika.
You are awesome!






Noiseware on Facebook
Pinocchio's Moment of Clarity on Facebook


\m/

One more interview and lets wrap this up!





No comments:

Post a Comment